Friday, May 3, 2013

Altered milk bottle

Greetings!
and the challenge is to alter a glass jar or bottle.
I chose this milk bottle from my stash. 
The embossing on it says "A bottle of milk is a bottle of health" ~I like that!

I mixed Perfect Pearls powder in green patina with Gel Medium and spread it on the lower two thirds of the bottle with my fingers. It gives it a nice sheer sheen. 
After painting and embellishing here is my altered bottle:
(Click on pictures to enlarge and clarify)
The flowers and birds are wood embellishments by Prima Marketing. I colored them with Faber Castell Markers. These markers are India Ink and are my absolute favorite to work with. They are blendable while wet but then dry permanent and the colors are just gorgeous. The centers have a dot of Perfect Pearls in Butterscotch. The stems are American Crafts twine and the leaves are off of a plastic child's bracelet. 
The top is embellished with a cut apart green silk flower. The flourishes are cut from My Mind's Eye paper in the "remarkable" collection with the Tim Holtz Alterations Elegant Flourishes die and the edges are distressed with Distress Ink in forest moss. Some hardware store twine is wound around the neck and the top is finished off with washi tape from the Indie Collection by My Mind's Eye. The birdcage is cut from chipboard with the Tim Holtz Alterations Caged Bird die. I painted it with Tim Holtz Distress Stain in brushed pewter then applied Distress Crackle Paint in clear rock candy.
I am entering my altered bottle in the "May take the challenge with Mou" at Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft where the challenge is to be inspired by a garden.
I hope you are inspired to alter a glass jar or bottle yourself and link it up with us at eclectic Paperie!
There are lots of great products in the shop and ideas on the blog - I've linked them up for you!
Thanks for stopping by today.
I'd surely appreciate it if you have a moment 
to leave me a comment!

11 comments:

Broni said...

This is so cute and too much fun, Teresa! I love all the special little details!

Micki said...

uuhhhh did not know about mixing Perfect Pearls and gel medium..... love that sheen. Love your finished altered bottle. The colored embellishments and love the twine around the top. Oh and love your pic of your dog in the sidebar..... looks so much like our Mercedes.

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, pretty! I love the delicate green tint, and the flowers are so fun climbing up the sides. The top is so cute too... I always love a bit of twine!!
Alison x

Kim said...

Beautiful, Teresa! I love the flowers...they are darling, along with the bird cage...love! Such a great project!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I love the old fashioned milk jug, and your transformation is so darn cute!

Annette Green said...

Love your bottle choice and especially love the crackled bird cage. Awesome!

toni said...

Love your altered bottle, the embellishments you've used are gorgeous such vibrant colours those pens sound real good and I love the look of the gel medium mixed with perfect pearls.x

Donna-Marie said...

Those flowers are stinkin CUTE!!! Thanks for the tip on mixing the media. I can see this filled with colorful candies MMmmmm!!!

Tracy said...

Beautiful and whimsical Teresa ... adore your flowers!!!
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxo

Marjie Kemper said...

So pretty, Teresa! Love the birds perched outside the cage and on the flower.

Anonymous said...

I love the bottle that you chose and the flowers just pop! Very pretty.